Resources for Freelancers in the United States
Here are some resources for freelancers and gig workers in the U.S. These include legal related resources, as well as other useful tools, websites and organizations for freelancers.
NOTE: Law Soup Media may receive compensation from the vendors listed here if you use any of their services. We have used all of the products and/or services listed, and we stand by them. Thank you for your support of our mission to democratize the law!
Legal Resources for Freelancers
- Check out our Guide to the Law for Freelancers.
- Get the new book for freelancers by Law Soup Media founder Tristan Blaine: How to Be Free(lance): What Every Self-Employed Person Needs to Know About Law and Taxes
- Contracts: To protect your rights as a freelancer, you should get a good contract drafted by a lawyer to spell out exactly what the terms are when a client hires you.
- LLCs: It may also be a good idea to form an LLC or corporation to protect your assets and possibly save on taxes.
- Check out Rocket Lawyer, which provides affordable and simple legal services for business & much more. They are currently offering a 7 day FREE TRIAL!
- Bonsai also provides access to many excellent contract templates, along with many other benefits for freelancers and small business
- Find a good business lawyer who works with freelancers.
Other Resources for Freelancers
- Get free accounting and invoicing tools with Wave. See our full review of Wave.
- Small business banking: We use (and love) Novo, a FREE online checking account for small business that is super easy to set up and use! It takes only about 10 minutes to apply.
- All-in-one solution for your business: Bonsai provides a full suite of tools for your freelance business, including accounting and invoicing, banking, contract templates, and so much more.
- Send contracts out for signature easily and free with DocHub.
- S-Corp payroll: As a freelancer, you probably don’t have employees. But if you have an S Corp (and if you don’t, why not?), you need a payroll solution. Gusto makes payroll and benefits super easy for small business. Rated “Best Overall Payroll Software” by NerdWallet.
- Get a business mailing address: Since we signed up for iPostal1 mail services, we have saved SO MUCH MONEY, and we love the convenience of being able to get a scanned copy of our mail no matter where in the world we are. Great for freelancers and small businesses. Plans start at just $8.33 per month. See Why Your Business Needs a Mailbox Service
- Cost-effective e-Commerce and other business websites: For a low-cost option for e-commerce or any great freelance or other business website, we recommend SiteGround. We have been using SiteGround for several years, and it’s the best hosting option we have found. They offer great deals for new customers!
- Find gigs: Flexjobs.com, Workingnotworking.com, Ilovecreatives.com
- Help setting your rates: Whopayswriters.com, Freelancingfemales.com/rates
- Blog with tips and tricks for freelancers: heyfreelancer.com